By Jonathan Caulkins
Within the struggle on medicinal drugs, youngsters are at the entrance strains. is simply asserting no defense adequate? The authors learn the result of well known college drug prevention courses to figure out how powerful they're at lowering cocaine use and no matter if those courses are cash good spent, compared to drug-enforcement or drug-treatment courses.
Read or Download An ounce of prevention, a pound of uncertainty: the cost-effectiveness of school-based drug prevention programs PDF
Similar addiction & recovery books
-- Lisa W. move, ladies and health and wellbeing
This examines the narratives of restoration, either oral and literary, surrounding the examine and therapy of alcoholism. It attracts upon quite a number disciplines from literary feedback and folklore, to psychoanalytic idea with an account of the narrative remedy of Alcoholic nameless founder, invoice W.
It is a 3-in-1 reference booklet. It offers a whole scientific dictionary overlaying enormous quantities of phrases and expressions on the subject of drug habit. It additionally supplies broad lists of bibliographic citations. eventually, it offers details to clients on the way to replace their wisdom utilizing a variety of web assets.
Content material: part A: creation, historical past and Scope -- Methadone: panacea or poison? / J. Strang and G. Tober -- The historical past of methadone and methadone prescribing / A. Preston and G. Bennett -- Methadone prescribing within the uk: what will we examine from neighborhood pharmacy surveys? / J. Sheridan -- part B: elements of medical perform and adaptations -- Negotiating a script: the dynamics of staff/client relationships / A.
- False Messengers: How Addictive Drugs Change the Brain
- The Zen of Recovery
- Cannabis : evolution and ethnobotany
- Caffeinated_ How Our Daily Habit Helps, Hurts, and Hooks Us
- Heroin Addiction - A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, and Annotated Research Guide to Internet References
Additional info for An ounce of prevention, a pound of uncertainty: the cost-effectiveness of school-based drug prevention programs
However, meta-analysis has limitations for informing the sort of policy question we address here (Matt, 1997; Hedges, 1997). Another effort to take an overview was the National Structured Evaluation of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Prevention (CSAP, 1995). This study was the "structured evaluation of different approaches . . L. 100-690) that was mandated by the Anti-Drug Abuse Act Amendments of 1988. It was intended to respond to policymakers' questions concerning the state of knowledge about prevention, but it did not address cost-effectiveness.
We list the factors here as a visual outline for this chapter. In addition to providing a bottom-line numerical "answer," we hope to contribute to the understanding of prevention's cost-effectiveness in two ways: first, by constructing the analysis so that the factors that contribute to the answer are clear, and second, by explicitly giving low, "best," and high estimates for each factor at each step of the analysis. The "best" estimate is the one we prefer, and the low and high estimates bracket a range across which reasonable persons might disagree.
1. 2. 1. 2. 1. 2. 1. 2. 3. 4. 1. 2. 1. 2. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. Base Estimates and Ranges of Effect, Discounted and Undiscounted, for All Drugs Considered 175 Page xix Summary Of the various possible approaches toward alleviating America's problems with illicit drugs, the greatest emphasisin both political rhetoric and dollars allocatedhas long been placed on enforcement against traffickers, dealers, and users. Recently, however, public-opinion polls have shown strong support for preventioneven a preference in some cases.